Foreign ships first entered the Panamanian register in 1922. These were two American passenger ships that were registered under the Panamanian flag for selling alcohol during the “Prohibition in the United States”. They were followed by others whose owners did not want to raise wages and improve working conditions, as required by US law.
After World War II, Panama’s fleet began to grow even faster: American shipowners sought to reduce costs and European shipowners sought to avoid high taxes.
Russia recognized Panama’s independence on November 24, 1903. The Republic of Panama had offices in Odessa (1907-1911), St. Petersburg, Moscow and Riga (since 1911), which were abolished in 1924.
In 1911, the Consulate of Panama in Odessa was located at Skobeleva Street, 2, which corresponds to the existing Yevreis’ka Street, located in the historical center of Odessa. This is mentioned in the publication “All Odessa: address and reference book of all Odessa with the Odessa district department for 1911”.
On October 8, 1979, a bilateral agreement on mutual assistance was concluded between Panama and the USSR. In addition, the agreement determined the legal status of the trade representation of the USSR in the republic. It had a number of functions:
- Promoting the development of trade relations between the USSR and the Republic of Panama;
- Representation of the interests of the USSR in the Republic of Panama in everything related to the foreign trade of the USSR;
- Assisting foreign trade organizations of the USSR in purchasing, selling, and other commercial agreements.
Diplomatic relations between the USSR and Panama were established on March 29, 1991.
Ukraine’s independence was recognized by Panama on January 1, 1992.